Tuesday 18 February 2014

Giving Away 4 Month Old Cockerels

Untitled-2

Hi neighbours - we hatch out a clutch of chickens from our backyard flock once a year. The boys from last year’s hatch are about four months old now and will need to leave our property in the next two weeks. While I would love these boys to go to a home where they will be a valued, working rooster, I am not against them going to a home where they are going to be raised kindly and respectfully, and then killed and eaten the same way. I have one or two purebred Plymouth Rocks and four Plymouth Rock x Barnevelders. Both breeds are traditional dual purpose chooks - that means they are good egg layers (not the boys, obviously) and good meat birds. If you’d contemplate introducing one to your flock permanently I’m happy to have a chat about the differences you can expect in a flock with a rooster and some of the things we’ve learned about having them. I’ve got to say I love having something magnificent and a bit wild out in my backyard. 

Contact Melanie at melaniejoymcgrath@yahoo.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment